- 981C Industrial Road San Carlos, CA 94070
- (650) 888-4064
Kale Chicken Ceasar
- 16 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large cloves garlic, divided
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 slices sprouted grain bread (TIP: For best results, let bread dry out overnight.)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup jarred artichoke hearts (water-packed), drained and chopped
- 1 tbsp raw unsalted pine nuts
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper
Fill a large pot with water. Add chicken, 1 clove garlic, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand, covered, until chicken is cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly. With two forks, shred chicken.
Meanwhile, fill a large shallow pot with 1/2 inch water. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium and add kale. Drizzle lemon juice over kale and cook for 5 minutes. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Add kale to bowl until cool. Drain and let dry.
Prepare croutons: Arrange an oven rack in top position. Preheat broiler to high. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 tsp olive oil and 1 clove garlic, halved. Rub garlic on both sides of bread. Arrange bread on a baking sheet and broil on top oven rack, turning once, until golden. Cut each slice into four triangles.
Prepare dressing: In a food processor, purée dressing ingredients and 2 tsp water until creamy.
In a large bowl, combine kale, shallot, artichokes, chicken and nuts. Add dressing and toss to coat. Top Kale Chicken Caesar Salad with croutons.
Beets with Fennel Yogurt Sauce
- 4 small whole beets, cut into quarters
- ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 TBS dijon mustard
- 3 medium cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 TBS ground sunflower seeds
- 2 TBS olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
Fill the bottom of a steamer with 2 inches of water.
While the water is coming to a boil, wash beets, leaving 2 inches of tap root and 1 inch of the stem on the beets. Cut beets into quarters. Do not peel.
Steam covered for 15 minutes. Beets are cooked when you can easily insert a fork on the tip of a knife into the beet. Although some of their colorful phytonutrients are lost to the steaming water, there is plenty of color and nutrients left in the beets.
While beets are cooking, press or chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their health-promoting properties.
After garlic has sat for 5 minutes, put all sauce ingredients except olive oil in blender. While blending drizzle olive oil slowly to emulsify.
Set beets aside to cool enough to handle.
Peel, and cut beets into bite size pieces. Toss beets with dressing and serve.